Thursday, March 13, 2014

Tim Kent: Winter Quarter Post 3

     For the final I brought in a project I created from serial slicing, and one I created with the pepakura method. As mentioned before, I tried to bondo the chip board model, and it was taking an unpractical amount of time to sand it to the consistency I wanted. Processor Scott introduce me to Aqua Resin, which I used on E flute cardboard instead. The E flute model was much stronger and easier to work with than chip board. It took generous amounts of wet media without warping, which was nice. after a few layers, it was very structural. I sanded in between coats to keep brush work and build up in creases as minimal as I could. Here is a picture of the cardboard before and after Aqua Resin. I plan to and it flat and give it an industrial looking finish by dry brushing graphite over 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.

     This is the finished result of a Serial Slice project. I layered Plywood with masonite in order to contrast the colors. I used a belt sander, grinder, die0grinder, and orbital sander in order to give it its final shape. I finished the wood using Minwax Spray polyurethane only, and wet sanded in-between coats.  For such cheap material, I was really impressed with the results! I am excited to continue exploring this technique in Advanced digital sculpture class next quarter.

     For fun on my own I created another laser engraved image of the 3D model I scanned into the computer.  I start by doing a contour, and then finding an angle I like in perspective and using the draw2d command to capture it. However, this time I used the contour command around a polygonal version of it, which created a more geometric line quality. The 300lb water color paper used gives it a nice quality feel. 

     More images of the work posted here, as well as other art mediums including painting, mixed media, and replicas, can be found on my artist website:

Tim Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment