Sunday, November 18, 2012


My goal for this project was to produce an organic tree model which would be contrasted by the serial slice method. I also loved the look of dyed concrete and glass so I decided to combine all three. The project is still in progress as I finish putting the final touches on the glass piece so it will be ready for the concrete.

I started building the model in Maya, then took the low poly model over to mudbox to give it a really organic look. After sculpting in the texture and root structure I ported it over to Mudbox to begin the serial slicing process.

After getting the cores in place and slicing it all up and many hours of laying it out to fit on as few sheets as possible I sent the files over to be laser cut.

 Putting it together!

Clamping this thing was a nightmare.
 To finish it off I tried out graphite per Prof. Scott's suggestion, I think I'll do a few more coats depending on the color of the concrete.
Stay tuned for the rest!

Friday, November 16, 2012

Andrew Simons: Polyhedra

Rhino file

Folded volume

Andrew Simons: 3D Printed Object

I modeled the closed mesh in Maya. There weren't any naked edges, so when I imported it into Rhino I only needed to scale it.
3D printed object
The 3D object in an architectural landscape setting.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Nick DeBruyne- Final sculpture

My final sculpture used patterning and serial slicing techniques to create an architectural form with an interest in structure and counter-balance.  

pieces laser cut, unit sanding in progress
Rhino file image
rendering from Keyshot

final product

Andrew Simons: Pepakura Final

For my final project the first step was to model my sculpture in maya using polygons. I started with a five sided pyramid, mirrored the geometry, then repeatedly extruded faces to create the ribbing and the thrusters. I then exported the model as a .obj.
Next I needed to unfold the geometry of the .obj file into a two-dimensional plane using Pepakura. This involved telling the program which edges of the model it should cut along to flatten  the shape, making sure that none of the pieces overlapped. Then I re-colored the lines to match the scheme that the laser cutter uses. When that was done, I printed the unfolded geometry to a .pdf file using at a 48"x48" format.

Next, I brought the .pdf into Illustrator to separate the cut lines, fold lines, and numbers into different layers. This is easier to do in Illustrator than in Rhino, as the prior has better tools for selecting lines of the same color. Then it's just a simple matter of exporting this as a .dwg, importing it to Rhino, and tweaking the properties of the layers and their objects so that all the outer cuts are magenta, the fold and inner cut lines are blue, and that the numbers are exploded into lines and red. Export as a .dwg (R12 lines and arcs) and it's ready for the laser cutter.

For the sake of time, I ended up using hot glue as my adhesive. I started out folding the pieces that make the thrusters and gluing them together. Once they were assembled I connected them with the ribbing pieces to make a full loop.Then I simply built the loops off in both directs to get the closed model.
Once it was fully assembled, I needed to paint over the perforations with white Gesso to fill them in. The Gesso also served as a base for the spray paint I would apply later.
To keep the different colors of spray paint from overlapping too much, I had paint one color at a time and put masking tape over the areas I wanted to keep that color before moving onto the next color. In this case, I painted the red spots, taped them, painted the white spots, taped them, and then painted the rest of it grey.
Finally, I removed the tape and put the finished sculpture on display.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mitchell Biggio's final project Serial Construction

 This is the process that I took to create my final piece.

It started with stacking up the serial slices made of cardboard.

Next I covered it in plaster soaked gauze inside and out.

 Primed it with many layers.
                     Then sealed it with Shellac.

Shea Crescenzo's Serial Chair - Final

Chair model in Rhino, sliced with Grasshopper, cut with lazer cutter
Serial slices constructed, 1/2" rod stock base welded

Final product!

Shea Crescenzo's FDM Printing

 Vessel fail
Chair model success

MItchell Biggio Serial sculpture

This is an experiment with the serial construction.

Mitchell Biggio 3D Print

Shark head

Brianna Finkle : Pepakura

I know its belated but here are some images from my pepakura attempt. A very interesting software that has some amazing potential, just takes some getting used to. After a few tries and a very simplistic form I ended up with this dinosaur egg looking form.

Brianna Finkle : Final Collection

After such a great reaction from my FDM bracelets, I decided to create matching rings and a neclace pendant to create an entire collection. I started by modeling everything up in Rhino then having it printed on the Projet Machine to ensure a higher quality of print since these items were smaller and more detailed.

Pendant Rhino File

Ring Rhino File

The project broke last week while printing my files.
Above is what it looks like when the project printer looses vacuum pressure in the middle of a print. Everything was covered in wax and there was no saving it. Fortunately someone came to fix it just in time and and everything was able to be printed. Below is everything together, I am hoping that next quarter I can collaborate with a metals and jewelry student to have some of these cast in metal.