Friday, March 29, 2013

Sami Lee Woolhiser: First and Second Translations

I have been working with a method that I call "translating". This is simply the act of interpreting and reacting to my environment, previous translations and my materials. All of these are influences in each work as it continues its metamorphosis through different mediums, dimensions and is affected by time, development of ideas and so forth.
Here are some images of my sketchbook (first translations) and digital drawings (second translations) that were created based on the first translation. These digital drawings will translate well to 3D models later on.


Digital Drawings: Photoshop

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Courtney Chin-A-Loy 3D Print

For my 3D Print, I decided to model a teacup using Maya.

Rhino File

 I kept the model faceted because I thought it would look cool

B. Rogers_ Final Pt. B (Serial Slice)

Similar to the Pepakura version, I wanted to make this one a bit more intimidating with larger hornes, 
I also wanted to experiment with construction of costume elements using this technique to be further finished, molded, and then have the ability to cast multiples. (Whereas a solid master would be more durable for molding)

The model was modified in Maya to have the longer hornes, and then was exported into Rhino as a mesh.

A boolean difference was used to cut some "eye" geometry into the face, and the model was scaled down to about 1/4 the original size.

Then, the serial slices grasshopper script was used to segment the object after 1/4" all-thread holes were defined.

All thread dry-fit. I like using wing-nuts for stuff like this so that I can remove everything more easily after the glu-up.

The glue-up.

Post All-Thread removal.
At this stage I wanted to use a die-grinder to flush down the faces so that the original geometry could be better represented, but unfortunately the shop at Boundary didn't have one in working order... so finishing this piece will have to come later. I intend to make this one smooth by using a combination of carving, sanding, and body-filler, then finishing the surface with a reflective gold. (Think Raiders of the Lost Arc, Golden Idol)

The Final Presentation with the two variations on this model.

B. Rogers_ Pepakura model (Final pt. A)

I wanted to make a digital sculpture to be applied to my field of Costume Design and construction.
I decided to make a helmet using the Pepakura method in an effort to get caught up with Maya and modeling with polygons.

Practicing with Maya was the biggest learning curve, since I never really got a chance to sit down with the program and play... so I pulled an "all nighter" on this project to get it to the cutting stage.
The model (above), has a lot of issues at this point, and a process shut down the program without saving, so it forced me to start over.

Starting over was the best way to move forward, I began with a geometric primitive (a cylindrical solid) and changed the segment number inputs to create control surfaces; making a MUCH cleaner model better suited for the pepakura program. 

Here is the model imported into the program. I spent an extra amount of time ensuring that the scaling accurately reflected my measurements since I really only had one shot to get the lasercut right.

Here is the file loaded into illustrator to get the paths defined, then when the layers and colors were correct I re-exported it into Rhino to make sure that the .dxf would load properly, made adjustments, and had it cut. 

The buildup process beginning.

The model, completely assembled.

It fits! And I can see out of it.

Future plans for this model are to coat it in a resin-based material to cover the fold lines and make it a more durable, wearable piece with modeled and painted texturing to reflect my design concept.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Courtney Chin-A-Loy- Final Serial Sculptures

For my final project I decided to do a cube study using the serial slice method. Here I explored the tool Boolean Difference 

Rhino Files

Cubes in Cube

Spheres in cube

Courtney Chin-A-Loy Pepakura

For my pepakura project I decided to do a 3 foot tall penguin

Rhino Files

Front View

Courtney Chin-A-Loy- Serial Slices 1

Rhino File

Side View


Jon Hartman-Final

Rather than using a script, I just drew all of the vectors in rhino.

The assembled structure:

I'm not entirely happy with the final product.  The leaf pieces look a little tacked-on, and if I were to revisit the project, I would emphasize that feature a bit better.

Jon Hartman-Pepakura