Saturday, February 9, 2013

Paul Derrico_First Serial Sculpture in progress







Here are the results so far of my serial sculpture.  I stack laminated the cardboard, put the first layer of Rigid Wrap on, and I've smoothed it out with 3 subsequent coats of plaster.  I've sanded a large portion of it.  I'd like to finish sanding it until its super smooth and then cover it with a coat of paint.

I'm not exactly sure why (?), but this sculpture was inspired by the classic dame in the traditional Victorian dress.  As I was working on the model, it began to take the shape of a Victorian woman walking down the street with pompousness and accord.  So I just ran with it.

I've wanted to work with armatures and plaster molds and sculptures for a long time now, and this was a great way to get into it.  I can see this technique as a great way to model furniture mockups and ideas.  It especially works with some of the more non-traditional forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment