Thursday, August 26, 2010

David Markus | FDM Project

For my FDM project, I wanted to create a form that would be nearly impossible to produce through any other method. I started in a program called Cinema 4D, a polygonal modeling tool.

I first started with a basic dodecahedron shape.


I then used the Matrix Extrude tool on all faces to create twisting "limbs", ensuring that none of them were self-intersecting.


To smooth out the shape, I used a Hyper-Nurbs layer. This tool simulates a nurbs surface based on the polygonal data and allows you to specify the outputted poly count.


I then used this module in a polar array to create a complex, intersecting form.



After boolean unioning the object, I prepared the mesh for STL printing.

A few days later, I received the freshly printed object and began the process of finishing it. My intention was to smooth out the object as much as possible.


I started by lightly sanding the excess residue before spraying it with high build primer. Getting into all the "tentacles" was a challenge in itself.


I then chose a very intense red color in order to disguise the STL printing artifacts. I finished by spraying a high gloss clear-coat finish.




Due to the planar surface, I imagine my FDM project being used as a super-modern coffee table. All it needs is a pane of glass and it's ready for any super-high end post-modern minimalistic space.

No comments:

Post a Comment