Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Clay Royse - FDM Project

For my FDM project I modelled a sphere out of discs. To me, this was the best way to represent the themes of dimensionality covered in this class. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I find working on a three-dimensional object represented on a two-dimensional array of pixels using a 113 buttons and a sliding control device deeply... strange. My best analogy is that it is akin to learning how to knit while wearing mittens.

To turn this beige object into a public art maquette, I used polyester dye. Since I couldn't find a pan deep enough to submerge the entire piece, I had to keep turning it. This resulted in the uneven color you now see. The dye didn't take on the outer surface, but because the heat involved opened up some of the plastic "weave," a good deal of it migrated into the hollow middle of the piece. I think it looks a lot better than if it had been a more uniform grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment