Thursday, August 26, 2010

Clay Royse - Laser Cutting


I was immediately drawn to the parallels between the serial build process and medical imaging, specifically the slices that MRI and CT scanning create. I had my first CT scan this summer, after a bike wreck in July left me unconscious and thinking it was March. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind at the time to request my scan data, so this is less of a self portrait than I'd like it to be.
I cut two of these skulls, in hopes that I could rearrange the slices and stack them in a way I found interesting. What I found most appealing was a form mirrored around the bridge of the nose, using half as many slices on the bottom. It creates a shape that is somewhere between a beehive and Admiral Ackbar.


No comments:

Post a Comment