Thursday, March 14, 2013

B. Rogers_ Pepakura model (Final pt. A)

I wanted to make a digital sculpture to be applied to my field of Costume Design and construction.
I decided to make a helmet using the Pepakura method in an effort to get caught up with Maya and modeling with polygons.

Practicing with Maya was the biggest learning curve, since I never really got a chance to sit down with the program and play... so I pulled an "all nighter" on this project to get it to the cutting stage.
The model (above), has a lot of issues at this point, and a process shut down the program without saving, so it forced me to start over.

Starting over was the best way to move forward, I began with a geometric primitive (a cylindrical solid) and changed the segment number inputs to create control surfaces; making a MUCH cleaner model better suited for the pepakura program. 

Here is the model imported into the program. I spent an extra amount of time ensuring that the scaling accurately reflected my measurements since I really only had one shot to get the lasercut right.

Here is the file loaded into illustrator to get the paths defined, then when the layers and colors were correct I re-exported it into Rhino to make sure that the .dxf would load properly, made adjustments, and had it cut. 

The buildup process beginning.

The model, completely assembled.

It fits! And I can see out of it.

Future plans for this model are to coat it in a resin-based material to cover the fold lines and make it a more durable, wearable piece with modeled and painted texturing to reflect my design concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment