Tuesday, May 1, 2012

From Start to Nearly Finished

These two pieces are roughly inspired the Rorschach inkblot testsI really wanted to give off the feeling of strength and self empowerment.  My intention is to bump up the scale for the rest of the series.

This is an Alja safe waste mold, which is made of a two part mixture of water and aliginate.  I poured plasticine in liquid form, I usually put my oven to 400 and it melts in around 10 minutes. 

 I used the 3-D scanner Next Engine and ScanWorks to clean it up. My poly surface count was through the roof, as expected, so I had to simplify the scan slightly.
Once opened in Rhino I put a flat base on fist by drawing a straight line and then using the command split.  I then capped the open surface and used the mirror command to reflect the scan. I used grasshopper to section the piece up in 1/4 inch slices and used 1/4 inch round dowel rods. In the future I plan on used square rods.

This piece was milled from pine.
Cut on Luan.  Pre-glue up

If only I could cast in rose gold!

Cherry wood pictured.  In my final piece I want to glaze oil paint over the form to replicate skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment